Pages

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Rocky Road

Day 50 Thursday April 18
Miles hiked: 20.3
Total miles: 843.0
Number of hikers we saw: 0

We had rain in the night and woke again to a foggy misty day.
We left the shelter at 6:50. We finished the climb up The Priest and then had a big downhill.

We crossed the Tye River on a suspension bridge and then had a climb. Hopefully this will be one of our last big ones for a while.

The trail today was very rocky and slow. It is very maddening to be near the Blue Ridge Parkway. This road is a well graded beautifully manicured highway and the AT dumps over the side into a sh-- pile of rocks. We cursed the park service all the while we walked this section.

Tonight we are stealth camping near the Dripping Rock.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

5 comments:

Steve Koeppen said...

I'll be curious to know if the trail along Skyline Drive through the SNP is better since that's in PATC maintained territory.

Lucy said...

I saw the picture of Sara on Facebook. She is a seriously skillful napper.

Unknown said...

This isn't encouraging news for the trail ahead of us! We are a few days back but maybe somehow we will catch up to you again!! Good Luck in the Shenandoah!

Lori said...

That doesn't sound good. Hope you are back on a decent trail soon.

Mary Ann and Ralph said...

Now see, after a day like that, someone would give me a trail name like Whiny Bitch (can I say that?) or at least Whiny Crybaby. Little Mary Sunshine did say sh--pile, but I bet tomorrow she'll be cheerful as ever. We did go up the Rattlesnake yesterday to look for steer's head flowers, but there were only a few and much smaller than I remembered.

Post a Comment