Day 36 Thursday April 4
Miles hiked: 26
Total miles: 574.5
Number of hikers we saw: 1
We left our pretty little camp in the dry leaves at 6:45. We saw another nice pink sunrise. It was a mostly cloudy day, but the hiking went well.
As we were coming down to the Holston River I tripped on a rock and did a header off the trail. I'm fine but a little dirtier.
It started to drop little ice balls as we began the climb to Chestnut Knob. The higher we got the worse it became until it was a dealing blizzard.
We drudged the last 10 miles to Jenkins Shelter. We are soaked and feeling defeated. The woman staying here at the shelter offered us a ride into Bland tomorrow. We are going to take her up on it!
After two really nice dayside thought we were through with this winter sh--!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone
2 comments:
On Wednesday they were forecasting up to 6 inches of snow and strong winds in southwestern VA for Thursday and I said to myself oh crap, they're going to get hit with another one. It's been a long, long time since we've had snow in April in the East and wouldn't you know it would be this year. Oh well, you won't forget this hike anytime soon. Ha! Now for some good news. The temperatures next week in the Washington area are supposed to be in the low to mid 70s! I won't say you've seen the last of the cold weather but I'd be willing to rule out any more snow (famous last words - I hope not). Like I said a while back, it won't be long and you'll be cursing the hot weather. Bring in on - right?
Really, I can't believe that you had to go through another snowstorm. Please don't feel defeated, you have come through the worst weather on the AT already. You've done a great job getting through the Smokies, NC, and now booking it through Virginia.
It sounds like there are some good places (meaning warm and dry) to stay for the next few days. Just take it easy. Don't worry about the timing. I can get your car to you whenever.
I'm so glad you weren't hurt when you launched yourself from the trail. Do you need me to send you a hiking helmet? If you are going to be Lady Fallsalot, I will search out a helmet for you, lightweight knee braces, wrist guards, whatever.
Post a Comment