Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Apple Orchard Mountain

Day 46 Sunday April 14
Miles hiked: 23.7
Total miles: 765.7
Number of hikers we saw: 21
New thru hikers we met: The Brothers

We left the shelter at 6:05 and saw a great sunrise. We had lots of climbing ahead of us today.

We found some new wildflowers today. Maryann, it is your challenge to identify them.



We saw a group of boys from Allegheny Boys Camp. I liked they way they did dishes.





The best shelter on the trail so far has to be the Bryant Ridge Shelter. It sleeps 20!



The dogs met Charlotte here. She looks like Sara's long lost sister.



The last climb today was a big one. First we had to climb Floyd Mountain and then we climbed to the top of Apple Orchard Mountain with an FAA tower.


We had to pass under the Guillotine.






We are camped at Thunder Hill Shelter with The Brothers.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

Mary Ann and Ralph said...

I don't care how tightly that guillotine rock is lodged in there, it still looks scary to see you guys standing under it. My first guess at the flower was some kind of violet, but the leaves didn't look right. So of course I had to look it up. My best guess is bird's foot violet. I'm so glad the weather is improving and flowers are blooming. Yay...spring!

Post a Comment