Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Best Day Yet

Day 9
Miles hiked: 15.8
Total miles: 125.6
Number of hikers we saw: 7

We caught the 9:00 shuttle from the motel back up the mountain to Winding Stair Gap. We were excited to see She Beast, Bazinga, Alamo and Ali at the next shuttle pickup spot.

It was foggy in Franklin but as we gained elevation it became a clear blue sky. We started hiking at 9:30.



We soon had taken off stocking hats, jackets and sweaters.

The first hill we climbed was Silar Bald.



We had our first real views today. You can tell lots of the blizzard's snow has already melted.

This stone tower on top of Wayah Bald is a memorial.



The view from here was awesome. We could see all the way to the Great Smokies.



Tonight we are camped on the ridge behind the Cold Spring Shelter.





Today was the best day yet hiking the AT!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

9 comments:

Mary Ann and Ralph said...

So do you have trail names, or are these people really named things like She Beast and Skinny Jeans? If you don't have trail names, maybe your blog followers will make up names for you.

Steve Koeppen said...

One of those days that makes it all worthwhile.

Steve Koeppen said...

Hikers are supposed to be given a trail name only by a fellow hiker but I'm not sure everyone goes by the custom. I was surprised to hear that so many that you've met already have trail names unless this is not their first thru hike or section hike. You might want to ask how they got their trail name, if you haven't already been doing that.

Karen said...

Glad to hear you had such a good day. The pictures were beautiful, it's good to see that there isn't the snow I expected you'd find. I shared your blog with someone today -- another interested follower!! KKH

Steve Koeppen said...

I liked the trail name Bazinga. Must be a Big Bang Theory fan.

Mary Ann and Ralph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary Ann and Ralph said...

I bet Steve is right about Bazinga and Big Bang Theory. I knew nothing about trail names and thought possibly all these other hikers were children of hippies or something. I googled "trail names" after I posted, so now I get it.

Lucy said...

Today is a very beautiful in Greenville SC so I am hoping it is even more so in the mountains. I got my ATC map from Georgia to Maine and write your location and date each day. I've got it taped up on my wall in the living room. Everyone who stops by comments on it.

ks said...

We are following your adventure day-by-day, it is as if we are there with you (if only), and are really enjoying the pics. Snow in Denver today, hope can avid much of that. As you approach the Great Smokies, it reminds me of many summer vacation camping trips there with family. Also trashed my first canoe near Nantahala Falls nearby. Stay warm and dry. Kathleen and Earl

Post a Comment