Pages

Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Last Day

Day 71 Thursday May 9
Miles hiked: 2.0
Total miles: 1190.3

This morning as we were hitting the trail it became apparent that Lily,one of our two dogs, has sore feet. We had suspected this two days ago and treated her with an anti-inflammatory. But, today our worst fears were realized after almost 1200 miles of hiking. So, our dog's welfare comes first and we will be leaving the trail.

We are sad, but are trying to be positive. We set a new record for the miles and number of days we have backpacked in one year and the snow isn't even gone yet in our part of the country.

Mike's cousin Steve will pick us up tomorrow morning. We will then get a rental car and head to Greenville, South Carolina to Lucy's house.

Driving home we are going to pick a different route and try to stop more to "smell the roses". We will pick up our old boy, Luc at Susan's house.



We are so grateful to everyone for all of the support and encouragement you have given us. We couldn't have possibly gone this far without it.

Stay tuned, as we've had a lot of time hiking to think of things to do and places to go. Our bucket list runneth over!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

6 comments:

Lucy said...

Luc is so beautiful. I wonder if the 2 injuries had something to do with Lily getting sore. Maybe just like people do, she changed her gait after getting stabbed by the stick and then the big dog attacking her?

Ya'll have been a true hiking inspiration.

Steve Koeppen said...

We're really going to miss looking forward to the daily blog updates. I'm feeling like this is a "season finale" similar to those now occurring on TV - we'll have to wait until next season to see how the adventure ends. If you think about it, it's really pretty amazing that the dogs were able to go almost 1200 miles, what with twice as many feet and half the stride as their long-legged, two-footed, hard-soled, boot-wearing masters. You four are all awesome hikers!

Juliann in WA said...

Enjoy the view

Mary Ann and Ralph said...

Poor Lily! I'm sorry you won't get to finish this trip, but so glad you're putting Lily's feet first. I was going to say you could get her a ride to Missoula and she could stay with us until you finish your trip, but I see you're already on your way. Have fun smelling the roses on the way home, and we'll see you on Mt. Sentinel!

Lucy said...

Mike and Lynn are leaving my house in Greenville SC tomorrow morning. We walked around Furman today with the dogs - about 3.5 miles. Lily did well. She looks good.

Like Steve, I will really miss the daily reports.

Mary Ann and Ralph said...

I'm betting it was the rock piles that made Lily's feet sore. The trails should be more dog-friendly. Of course I can say that since I never have to do trail maintenance.

Post a Comment