Pages

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Onward

Day 66 Saturday May 4
Miles hiked: 15.7
Total miles:1113.0
Number of hikers we saw: 16

We had a blueberry pancake breakfast to start the day! That's what I call a good start!

We enjoyed our last morning at the Koeppen's. We took our packages to the post office to mail home.

We left around 10:45 for Pine Grove Furnace State Park. We saw the iron furnaces there. Wow, what a lot of work and heat back in the day.



We enjoyed a great sack lunch that Tess had packed for us- yummy veggie wraps. While we were eating Bluesman, Arrowhead, Flo and Skeet Butter pulled in. They were taking a zero.

We walked over to the AT Museum where Sara and Lily were the major attraction. I really liked seeing all of Grandma Gatewood's hiking things. It is hard to believe she carried all of her things in a denim sack on her shoulder. She was the original lightpacker.

We said a sad goodbye to Steve. They were so good to us it was hard to leave. We started hiking at 12:35.

The trail rolled along with some useless rock sections. We arrived at the Alec Kennedy Shelter around 7:00. We enjoyed the company of 5 section hikers and Chester the Golden Retriever.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

Lucy said...

I just went through your photo album. The conditions sure do look better now than they did in the lower South. Already 1/2 way! I am worried about getting your car to you in a timely fashion. You may have to slow down at the end.

Mary Ann and Ralph said...

Bluesman, Arrowhead, Flo and Skeet Butter? YOU GUYS NEED TRAIL NAMES!

Unknown said...

Family is a great thing - especially when they spoil you!
I agree - where are YOUR trail names?

Post a Comment